Accounts & Access Request Forms (Housing/Residential Life Staff Only)

For computer access, external doors, internal e-locks, or other IT related access requests, please have your supervisor fill out the form below. Please note that only designated supervisors can access these forms.


Accounts & Access

Service Users


Still Need Help?

If you weren’t able to find your answer, submit a service request ticket to the ITS Service Desk. Service request tickets are responded to during normal business hours.

Submit Service Request







View ITS General Service Level Expectations