- Each email account offers 100 GB of email storage
- Messages have a maximum size of 15MB
- Email access is limited outside of the US and Canada. Please see Email for Travelers Outside the US and Canada for more information
- Reset my password
- Log in
- Check email using a client or device
- Get an email account
- Make changes to accounts
- Use OWA light
- Install MS Office (including Outlook) on a personal computer
- Determine Outlook version
- Access other Microsoft services (for information on using the educational version of Office available through Office 365, please see the Microsoft Software User Guides)
Your SF State email account uses your SF State ID password. You can reset your SF State ID password using the SF State Password Reset tool.
SF State faculty and staff who own or manage secondary email accounts can reset secondary passwords through email services.
If you have a personal Microsoft Live, Office365, or Hotmail account you must be logged out of it.
- Navigate to https://outlook.office365.com
- Enter your email address and click Next
- You will be redirected to the SF State Global Login. Enter your SF State email or ID number, and SF State password.
- Click Login.
To sign out, you must click Sign Out and close the Web browser.
Using Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Outlook will auto-configure your account settings when the Exchange/Outlook account type is selected and your email address and password are entered into the account dialog box. To access the account dialog box:
- Outlook 2016/2019 Windows/Mac first use: the account setup dialog will open automatically the first time Outlook is opened; select the account type Exchange/Outlook and enter your email address and password when prompted.
- Outlook 2016/2019 Windows: Control Panel > Mail > Profiles (you can then either create a new profile or edit an existing one).
- Outlook 2016/2019 Mac: Open Outlook and select Outlook > Preferences > +, select Exchange as the account type.
NOTE: If you have an Android device, go to Microsoft Outlook for Android
Using an iPod/iPhone/iPad
Use the Apple App Store to download and install the Microsoft Outlook app. Open the app and, when prompted, enter your SF State email address and password.
How do I change the name displayed in the email directory?
How do I change my account name?
Account names are not customarily changed. For exceptions, submit a service request to open a ticket requesting your account name be changed. Please detail the reason for the exception.
How do I request my account be closed?
The Registrar's Office requires that all current SF State students have an SF State email account. For all others, submit a service request to open a ticket requesting your account be closed.
If you have low vision and use a screen reader or high contrast settings, you can select the blind and low vision experience to optimize viewing. This setting can be set as the default the first time you log in. If you need to change the setting after your first login:
- Sign in.
- Select Options (Gear Icon) > Options.
- Select Settings and then the General tab.
- In the Light Version section, check or uncheck Use the light version of Outlook on the Web.
- Select Save.
- Sign in at http://outlook.office365.com
- Select App Launcher (Grid icon) > Office 365
- Select Install Office > Office 365 Apps
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the Office Apps to your computer
To check your version of Outlook:
- Open Outlook and select File
- Select Office Account (older versions select Help)
- The version will be listed in the Product Information section (e.g., Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016)
- Click About Outlook to verify if the product is 32-bit or 64-bit
Current faculty and staff have access to Microsoft's other online services, including OneDrive and Office Online. When your email account is created, an additional Microsoft OneDrive account with the same username will be created for accessing these services. However, please note that the OneDrive account is not supported by SF State and SF State cannot provide assistance if issues occur.
To access the addional Microsoft account services, log in to your email and select the Grid icon.
For assistance with your OneDrive account, please contact the Microsoft Help Center.
- Change the time zone
- Get help with email
- Mailbox is over quota
- Log in if I have an existing Windows Live, Office 365, or Hotmail account
- Error: 'A mailbox couldn't be found...'
- Sign in to https://outlook.office365.com
- From your Inbox click Options.
- Select General > Region and time zone.
- Change the date/time for the appropriate time zone.
- Click Save.
- For problems creating your email account or changing your password, please submit a service request or contact the ITS Help Desk at: 415.338.1420.
- For questions regarding the use of email, please refer to Microsoft's online help documentation for Windows Live. Microsoft has also published extensive documentation specific to the use of Outlook Live at http://help.outlook.com/, as well as a forum and blog called Outlook Live Answers at http://outlookliveanswers.com/.
If your mailbox reports that it is over quota, follow the instructions for Checking email using an email client to set up a third-party email program such as Outlook. Use the third-party program to delete or move messages from your account. If you still need to request an increase in email storage capacity, make a request.
- Make certain you are logged out of your non-SF State Windows Live, Office365, or Hotmail account.
- Sign in at https://outlook.office365.com using your SF State ID number or email address and password.
- If the login is set to store your ID, click Sign in with a different Windows Live ID to enter a different one.
Microsoft’s email service has a number of documented limits that, when exceeded, will result in account suspension for 24 hours. This feature is intended to limit the impact of email abuse.