Email-based commands can be used by those who prefer to manage their distribution lists using email instead of using the web interface at the SF State Gateway.
A limited set of commands in a email can be used to manage a distribution list. The email should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org (where listname is replaced with the distribution list name). All commands are typed in the body of the email message.
- confirm <CONFIRMATION-STRING> Confirm an action. The confirmation-string is required and should be supplied within a mailback confirmation notice. Note: This is a command that may be provided to you, not one you create.
- end Stop processing commands. Use this if your mail program automatically adds a signature file. Type it in the line above any text you want to have ignored.
- help Receive a copy of the help message.
- info Get information about this mailing list.
- lists See a list of the public mailing lists on the server.
set ... Set or view your membership options.
- Use set help to get a more detailed list of the options you can change.
- Use set show (without the quotes) to view your current option settings.
- subscribe Subscribe to this mailing list.
- subscribe digest or nodigest If you wish to receive one message per day with all list postings, specify digest.
- subscribe digest email@example.com If you wish to subscribe an address other than the address you sent this request from.
- unsubscribe Unsubscribe from the mailing list. A confirmation email will be sent to the unsubscribing address. If you wish to unsubscribe an address other than the address you sent this request from, you may specify firstname.lastname@example.org
Each distribution list uses additional email accounts for contacting the list manager(s) and processing requests. The table below lists the email addresses and their purpose. Include the email domain @lists.sfsu.edu to deliver a message/request.
|Send to E-mail Prefix||Delivers to:||Purpose||To Do:|
|listname@||All list members||Post message to the distribution list||Participate in distribution list discussion.|
|listname-request@||Distribution list server||Submit requests for list information (see commands)||Auto responds with data to the senders email account based on the command submitted.|
|listname-join@||listname-request@ & List Manager(s)||(Join a list from email account you want to use.||Confirmation email will be delivered to your e-mail account.|
|listname-leave@||listname-bounces & auto responds||(Remove your subscription to a distribution list.||Confirmation done via message to your email account.|
|listname-owner@||List Manager(s) / Moderator(s)||Communicate directly to the Manager(s) / Moderator (s)||Wait for reply.|
For reference, see the GNU Mailman - List Member Manual: http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node10.html