The Drupal team would like to provide this resource as part of the ITS initiative to assist content managers in migrating their current sites from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8.
- Pre-created library of 25 components and layouts
- Previous programming or site building knowledge not required
- Easier to update and maintain content
Preparing your site for migration
Before migrating your site to Drupal 8, please take some time to review your current content and ensure that it is up-to-date and that the audience you are targeting has not changed. As a prerequisite for training we recommend that you review the Web Design Document (PDF) which will assist the content manager in designing the new site.
Attend Drupal 8 Training
Drupal 8 training is held every other Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. via Zoom. The main topic will be workflow, site building, and resources. Training is scheduled for an hour. Please sign up for training in advance:
Please ensure the content manager attends as they will to learn to organize content using templates and pre-curated components to build their new site.
a. Background and workflow
b. Short discussion regarding accessibility
c. Adding site builders to your site
d. Quick Start template
e. Logging in for the first time
f. Adding content to a basic page
g. Learning about Pattern Lab components
h. Adding News/Events
Note: Attendance for Drupal 8 training is strongly recommended before a new site is provisioned.
Provisioning an Drupal 8 development site
The Drupal team will provision the development site shortly after training. To request a new Drupal 8 dev site, please open a ServiceNow ticket. The site builder can start migrating content from the current site.
Approval to go-live
- Once the site builder is done and the site is approved by the site owner, please open a ServiceNow ticket so that your site can be reviewed by the Accessibility group and Strategic Marketing & Communications (SM&C) group for approval.
- Updates and changes based on their findings will communicated via the ServiceNow ticket by the Accessibility and SM&C teams, not by the Drupal team.
- Once the Drupal 8 site has been approved, the Drupal team will notified. We will provision the site to production and the old Drupal 7 site will be archived.
Problems/Questions and Additional Support
Drupal office hours are held every week via Zoom to address issues or problems that content managers may be experiencing when transferring their content to Drupal 8.
Sign up for office hours: https://sfsu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcldOqsqzksGdZVPRBQX_DjkbhUvVRGvEjr
1. Accessibility FAQs at https://access.sfsu.edu/ati/webaccess