INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES Q1 2020 ACCOMPLISHMENTS
The 1st quarter of 2020 started as any other, but come March the landscape changed quickly and dramatically. ITS quickly responded to support shelter in place and work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are busy as always improving IT services for the campus community.
Supporting Remote Work
- Coordinated with campus stakeholders to publish new web content related to COVID-19 operations
- Broadcast campus Information Security Alert emails on phishing/SPAM awareness and Zoom meeting security
- Developed and released ServiceNow module for Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to track COVID-19 requests and released a hardware request form for AT
- Obtained and distributed laptops, MiFi’s, webcams, and headsets for campus departments to enable remote work
- Increased outreach on tools/practices for working remotely: https://its.sfsu.edu/guides/itsecurityguidanceremoteaccess
- Launched the IT Continuity Tools resource page at https://its.sfsu.edu/guides/continuitytools
- Monitored reports to proactively respond to security events associated with increased remote access activity
- Rolled out an alert banner to Drupal websites (~300 sites), with the EOC and Strategic Marketing & Communications (SM&C) and set up the alert banner to display on the Gateway portal after login
- Launched remote call centers using Twilio for Campus Operator, ITS Service Desk and Enrollment Management to be able to provide phone support remotely
- Worked with many campus teams to assist with securing business processes for remote access
- Extended password expiration policy from 160 to 365 days for Two-Factor Authentication users
- Held the monthly campus-wide Information Security Operations Working Group Communities of Practice meeting: phishing attack awareness, info security and audit project updates.
- Identified and launched the compromised account process for 818 individual email accounts
- Analyzed 36 Technology Acquisition Review (TAR) requests
- Monitored alerts and established response processes for the new Security Information and Event System (SIEM).
- Successfully rolled out Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) to all staff users. This improves SF State’s IT security posture, aligns with CSU policy, and will help reduce the number of compromised SF State accounts.
Campus Outreach Training
- ITS trained 122 campus employees from January – March 2020
- Attendees represented 25 departments, including Downtown Center and Tiburon campuses
- Hosted 1 IT Resources Session, 1 PowerPoint Session, 2 Intermediate Excel Sessions, 2 Microsoft Teams Sessions, and 2 Qualtrics Sessions
Service Improvements and End User Support
- Completed cutover to Production OnBase 18
- Increased managed computers to 1100 under central management
- Increased maximum size of emails to 25MB and enabled Box plugin for Outlook
- Launched the Security Service Catalog, resulting in having updated service catalogs for 2 of 8 ITS areas
- Migrated the SFSU Online Directory and the MS Outlook Directory to production
- Provided 2FA token distribution, training, and support for rollout to staff'
- Provided computers and support for spring semester move-in and housing re-keying
- Managed Adobe upgrade for staff computers
- Upgraded ServiceNow to New York version
- Hosted Service Management Communities of Practice for IT departments, Bursar, HR, and Procurement to define and process the service management roadmap, including knowledge management and service portfolio
Web and Mobile App
- Added the homepage alerts top banner onto all campus websites
- Launched the new and improved People Directory search
- Launched the StarRez Portal X site for new campus housing at 2 Varela
- Completed and enabled backup to the cloud using Amazon Web Services.
- Received $35,000 from the Chancellor’s Office for intra-campus bandwidth upgrade.
Women in Technology
- Kicked off a Women in Technology forum hosted by Mary Morshed/ITS. ITS hosted the first monthly Women in Technology (WIT) mentoring meeting with 17 staff members participating from ITS, College of Liberal and Creative Arts, Institute for Geographic Information Science, Biology Department, Academic Technology, Human Resources, and College of Extended Learning.
Wednesday, May 13, 2020