- Download and Install Latest Software Updates
- Add an E-mail Account to Outlook 2013
- Using Outlook 2013 on Exchange
- Microsoft Office 2013
- A computer running Microsoft Windows
- A connection to the Internet
- An SF State E-mail account on Exchange for faculty and staff (If you do not already have an account, sign up for one at: www.sfsu.edu/email)
Microsoft Outlook is available for free to SF State faculty and staff for use on University-owned computers. Outlook 2013 comes packaged with Microsoft Office 2013. You may also upgrade from earlier versions.
- To obtain Outlook 2013 for a University-owned computer, contact your department office/IT support person.
- To obtain Outlook 2013 for a personally-owned computer that is used to do work at home (work at home rights), purchase a copy of Microsoft Office 2013 from the SF State Bookstore.
If you have Office 2013, but do not have Outlook 2013 installed, see Microsoft's guide on Installing or Removing Individual Office Programs and Components.
You will need:
- Your SF State e-mail address
- Your SF State password (to reset your password, go to www.sfsu.edu/reset)
After verifying Outlook 2013 is installed:
- Open the Control Panel and select Windows Update
- Click Check for updates
- Install all critical updates
- Reboot if necessary
- Repeat steps 1-4 until no critical updates are found
- Open Outlook 2013
For new Outlook installations:
- Click on Next in the Microsoft Outlook 2013 Startup window
- When prompted, "You can configure Outlook to connect to Internet E-mail, Microsoft Exchange, or other E-mail server. Would you like to configure an E-mail account?" select Yes, then click on Next
For existing Outlook installations:
- Click on the File tab in the menu bar.
- Click +Add Account
In the Add New Account window, select E-mail Account, then enter your Exchange account information:
- Your name: Enter your name
- E-mail address: your SF State e-mail address (e.g., email@example.com)
- Password: your SF State password
Retype Password: your SF State password
- Click Next
Outlook will attempt to establish a connection. Wait while Outlook searches for your server settings.
If prompted for your User name and Password, enter your full e-mail address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) as your User name, and enter your password. Click OK.
- Click Finish on the Add New Account window.
Important note regarding server-based e-mail
The mailboxes and folders you see under your new account (e.g., email@example.com) reside on the e-mail server, not on your computer. As a result:
- If you move a message from one of these folders to Trash on a computer or mobile device, it will be in Trash on all other computers and mobile devices that you use to check e-mail.
- Items are automatically deleted from Trash and the Exchange server two weeks after being moved to Trash.
- Once a message is deleted from the server it is not easy to have it restored. It is not possible after 30 days.
- If you want specific messages removed from the server but saved locally on a computer, you can make local folders then move the messages from the server into the local folders.
- The time taken to refresh a folder on the server increases with the number of messages in the folder. To minimize refresh time, try to keep the number of messages in any folder below 1000. The Inbox on the server is refreshed every time your e-mail program checks for new messages. So it is especially important to keep the number of messages in the Inbox low.
User Guides and Training
To access Outlook guides, go to the File tab, select Help, and click on Microsoft Office Help or visit SF State's Microsoft Office Guides page.