- A Macintosh computer with OS X or higher
- A connection to the Internet
- Account details for your SF State e-mail account on the Exchange server
Apple Mail comes installed on all Macintosh computers with OS X.
Obtain account details
- Login to SF State E-mail Account Services. (If you do not know your password, use the SF State password service.)
- Under Accounts (section 1) click your e-mail address.
- On the Account Details page note the following: Account name, Forwards to, and Mail server.
- If you are currently forwarding your e-mail and would like to access it using Apple Mail, remove your e-mail forwarding address.
- If your Mail server is not exchange.sfsu.edu, you should first switch to Exchange.
Download and install latest software updates
- From the Apple menu, click Software Update...
- Install any recommended software updates.
- Open Apple Mail
- Select Mail > Preferences
- Click the + (plus) to add a new account
- Enter your Name, Email Address, and Password where indicated and click Continue
- Choose if you would like Apple Mail to also connect to your calendar and contacts
- Click Create
Using Apple Mail with Exchange
The mailboxes and folders you see under your new account (e.g., jdoe Exchange) reside on the e-mail server, not on your computer. As a result:
- If you move a message from one of these folders to Trash on one computer, it will be in Trash on all computers you use to check e-mail.
- Items are automatically deleted from Trash and the Exchange server two weeks after being moved to trash.
- Once a message is deleted from the server it is very difficult to have it restored. It is impossible after thirty days.
- If you want to delete specific messages from the server, but keep them locally on your computer, copy them to a subfolder under the On My Computer account before deleting them from your Exchange account.
- The time it takes to refresh a folder on the server increases with the number of messages in the folder. To minimize refresh time, try to keep the number of messages in any folder below 400. The Inbox on the server is refreshed every time your e-mail program checks for new messages, so it is especially important to keep the number of messages in the Inbox low.
- Your new account uses the Outbox found under the Folders on My Computer category.
- The Deleted Items folder under your new account (e.g., jdoe Exchange) will contain any messages deleted from your new Inbox.
- The Sent folder under your new account (e.g., jdoe Exchange) will contain any new messages sent from your account.
- To permanently remove messages marked as deleted, hold down CTRL, and then click the Deleted Items folder in the folder list. Click Empty Deleted Items, and then click Empty.
User Guides and Training
To access Apple Mail help, from the Help menu, select Mail Help. Also see the related links in the right column.